Friday 21 March 2014

Rice Pudding Tart

I am delighted with how this tart turned out as it was born out of a desire not to let some leftover homemade rice pudding go to waste and be thrown out.

I regularly make homemade rice pudding as it just represents the ultimate in comfort food to me; it is warm, sweet and creamy and because it is so delicious I always want just another “little spoonful” even though I have usually eaten loads of it already! I made rice pudding the other day and despite my best attempts, was unable to eat it all, so I covered it and put it into the fridge. At the best of times, I like chilled rice pudding, but this time I decided to experiment a little.

It occurred to me that the basic creamy rice-pudding that I make would make a wonderful tart if enriched with some egg yolks. So I made some sweet shortcrust pastry, and blind-baked a tart shell. When cool, I spread some raspberry jam in a thin layer on the bottom of the tart and then covered it with the rice pudding mixture before popping it into a moderate oven to bake for about half an hour. It really was quite simple and resulted in an elegant looking tart which, most importantly, tasted fabulous!

 
Some of the tastiest dishes happen almost by accident without any great planning and they result in the creation of something beyond your expectations. This was the case with this tart and I will admit that I was completely chuffed with how it turned out. I predict that, in future, I will deliberately cook too much rice pudding, just so that I have the opportunity to make this tart again.
 
The rice pudding and the sweet shortcrust pastry were made using the recipes that I have previously posted.
 

Ingredients:

1 x 20cm round sweet shortcrust pastry tart shell, blind-baked (leave in its baking tin)
500g leftover cold rice-pudding
3 egg yolks
2 generous tblsp of raspberry jam
A little icing sugar to dust over the top of the finished tart
 

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 160C/Fan Oven 140/Gas Mark 2.
2. Spread the raspberry jam in a thin layer on the bottom of the blind-baked tart case. Mix the egg yolks thoroughly into the rice-pudding and pour this evenly on top of the raspberry jam.
3. Place the tart tin on a baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven until the rice pudding is just set and the top of the tart is a pale golden colour.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.
5. Serve dusted with a little icing sugar.

Serves 6-8.
 


 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment